Starting a new business can be exciting and you may want to get going right away. Before you begin, however, make sure that you choose the best type of business entity for you, which may include a:
- Sole proprietorship
- Fictitious Name (“doing business as” or “d/b/a”)
- Limited Liability Partership (LLP)
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
There are other considerations, depending on the type of business you intend to operate. Make sure that you secure the necessary tax identification, licenses, permits, and clearances before opening for business:
- You may also need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS.
- If you sell certain items, you will need to obtain a Pennsylvania sales tax license.
- Some types of businesses (food, alcohol, restricted professions, etc.) require special licenses, inspections, and clearances.
You want to have everything in place before you get started, because it is much easier to get set up properly in the first place than to fix issues or face penalties down the road.
Contact me to schedule a free 30-minute initial consultation.
Note: Contacting me does not create an attorney-client relationship.